Can your family stay with you for a short time first?
Do your loved ones want to accompany you temporarily at this stage? Depending on your situation, desires and intentions, you may consider having your family over in New Zealand on visitor visas.
Partners and dependents of student and work visa holders
may apply for visitor visas, if appropriate for their needs. The duration of such visas will not exceed their partners’ or parents’ visas.
- be living together
- meet partnership recognition requirements
- supporting partner meets the character requirements
Dependent children of holders of Essential Skills and Religious Workers
Their visas will usually be approved only if their parents meet a specified income threshold (currently NZ$43,322.76 per year before tax). V3.10
Partners and dependents of New Zealand citizens and residence class visa holders may be granted a visitor visa if the following is in place
- they are living together in a genuine and stable partnership
- the New Zealand partner, who supports the application, intends to be in New Zealand intends to be present in New Zealand for the same period of time as applied for by the applicant
- the minimum requirements for recognition of partnership are met
- the New Zealand partner meets the character requirements
Dependent children of New Zealand citizens or residence class visa holders may be granted a visitor visa for a maximum stay of 9 months if:
- the parent intends to stay in New Zealand during the same period of time applied for by the dependent child; and
- the parent supports the application.